Practical Deep Learning for Coders
WHEN: Starts Wed. April 10th, 6-9pm, for 9 consecutive Wednesdays.
WHERE: Sagrado Global, Salón A (Barat Sur, Suite 115, U. Sagrado Corazón) or via ZOOM (remote live class).
NOTE: THIS COURSE WILL BE CONDUCTED IN ENGLISH AND IS LIMITED TO A MAX OF 15 PARTICIPANTS
WHO TEACHES THE COURSE: Paul Clip
Paul is an investor and consultant. Prior to moving to Puerto Rico, Paul spent 20 years in the San Francisco Bay Area leading high performing software engineering teams at startups and Fortune 100 companies.
A computer scientist by trade, Paul has a Master’s from Carnegie Mellon and an MBA from Solvay Business School.
Current interests include Artificial Intelligence, Design & Systems Thinking, Blockchain and Financial Modeling & Trading.
WHO TEACHES THE COURSE: Adam Beguelin
Dr. Beguelin is a Puerto Rico-based entrepreneur and investor. He began his career as a research professor at Carnegie Mellon University in 1992. In 1996, he joined Inktomi, an early pioneer in search and internet software, as Senior Scientist. Inktomi went public in 1998 and was acquired by Yahoo in 2003.
In 2004 Dr. Beguelin co-founded Truveo, where he was CTO. Truveo was one of the first a video search engines when video was just becoming prevalent on the internet. AOL acquired Truveo in 2006. Following the acquisition, he joined AOL as a Vice President of AOL Video.
Since 2007, Dr. Beguelin has been a serial entrepreneur and angel investor. He is currently a board member and advisor to multiple startups in Puerto Rico. Dr. Beguelin holds a Bachelors in Science from Emory University where he graduated summa cum laude. He received his Masters and Doctorate degrees in Computer Science from the University of Colorado at Boulder. He is a founder of CMU Silicon Valley and holds 10 patents.
WHY: Learn Deep Learning?
For your project / startup / etc.
- Create new products & features
- Analyze data to uncover trends or opportunities
- Enhance current products
- Great marketing
For you personally
- Knowledge of AI & DL in high demand
- Adds to your competitiveness
- Enables you to add more value at your company
- Learning something new always good!
How Does Deep Learning Work?
Do I Need to be a Rocket Scientist?
- There are two main DL libraries today: TensorFlow and PyTorch
- This class from fast.ai uses PyTorch and makes it very easy to use
So what do I need to know?
- You must have programming experience
- You must have high school level math
- It will help if you have Python experience
- Oh… You must be fluent in English… Porque nuestro español es muy malo!
- Fast.ai is not just code
- Its website has online courses
- The content is free, though you do need an account on a DL-capable server ($5-20/mo)
- There are 7 lessons, we’ll be teaching 1 per week and adding a couple more sessions
- Image classification
- Data cleaning and production
- Multi-label classification
- AI Startup presentation
- Natural Language Processing
- Neural net from scratch
- Regularization, Convolutions
- Resnets from scratch, GANs
- Student Presentations